MUSC 161 - Jazz Workshop
Small group rehearsal and performance of instrumental jazz music. Students will be placed into groups according to instrumentation and level of playing ability. Individuals may choose to focus on specific areas of interest (was MUSIC 161). Prerequisite: Intermediate level of playing ability on performance instrument.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Perform traditional jazz styles appropriately. [COMMUNICATE]
- Memorize basic jazz repertoire. [REASON]
- Play with rhythmic and dynamic sensitivity to the other members of the band. [REASON]
- Demonstrate beginning approach to jazz articulation and phrasing. [COMMUNICATE]
- Improvise at a beginning level within given modes and chords. [REASON]
*Students enrolled in Jazz Workshop for the first time will complete the above objectives at an introductory level; continuing students progress to reinforce the objectives.
Add to Personal Catalog (opens a new window)