Feb 29, 2024
Program Description The electronic entertainment industry has become one of the largest and fastest growing industries in the U.S. and has a large representation in the Puget Sound area. The Computer Game Development Certificate is designed for people who wish to gain basic skills which will assist them in the development of software for computer graphics, multimedia, and games, and for employment in the electronic entertainment industry. The curriculum includes general programming courses in C/C++, and specialized courses aimed at the design, development, and testing of Windows based games using commercial development tools. This certificate requires successful completion of a minimum of 66 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
General Education Requirements (16 credits minimum)
*See General Education Requirements Note
Communications Skills (5 credits minimum)
OUTCOME: Communicate and interact effectively through a variety of methods appropriate to audience, context, purpose, and field/discipline.
Human Relations and Professional Development Skills (6 credits minimum)
OUTCOME: Act responsibly in applying professional and academic standards associated with personal wellness; sustainable management of resources; and/or with success in educational, workplace, community, and team settings.
Quantitative Analysis/Symbolic Reasoning Skills (5 credits minimum)
OUTCOME: Reason clearly using academic or professional modes of inquiry; using quantitative or symbolic reasoning; and/or using other discipline/field specific methods to explore and create ideas; identify information needs; process, evaluate, and use information; and recognize, analyze and solve problems.
Cultural Diversity Skills
OUTCOME: Explore and apply multiple perspectives in order to examine cultural differences and influences; maintain effective professional/working relationships; and/or interact effectively in multicultural settings.
____Cultural Diversity Requirement met
Program Requirements (30 credits)
- Demonstrate programming skills characteristic of an entry level commercial game programmer.
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively with other members of a game programming team.
- Utilize math and physics concepts in the production of a video game.
- Design, implement, and test both a 2D and 3D video game.
Program Electives (20 credits minimum)
The program code for this certificate is 504C. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
The advisor for this program is: Tim Hunt | email@example.com | 425.640.1863
Computer Science | www.edcc.edu/stem/cs
Game Development | www.edcc.edu/gamedev
*General Education Requirements Note
- Cultural Diversity Skills: If BSTEC 110, which is a CD-designated course, is not taken to fulfill the Communication Skills requirement, then students will need to select a different CD-designated course from the Cultural Diversity DIstribution Courses list.
Certificate General Information
Program of Study Outcomes Edmonds CC’s four General Education Outcomes (Communicate, Act Responsibly, Reason, and Explore) are promoted throughout the college’s programs. Instructional programs of 45 credits or more foster learning in all four General Education Outcomes.
Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Credit/Grade Requirements A minimum of 30 credits or one-third of the required college-level (100-level or above) credits, whichever is less, must be earned at Edmonds CC. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college-level courses.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan your schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice per year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning;
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor; and
- At least three quarters before you plan to graduate, contact any college(s) where you have earned credits and have your official transcript(s) sent to Edmonds CC. Then, submit an Evaluation Request - Transfer Credits Form (available in Enrollment Services) to activate the process of transferring credits to Edmonds CC.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
Common Course Numbering Please refer to www.edcc.edu/ccn for more information.
Cultural Diversity Requirement All students earning a degree or certificate of 45 credits or more must meet a cultural diversity (CD) requirement by taking at least five (5) credits of CD courses. To learn more, go to Academic Information – Cultural Diversity Requirement in the online academic catalog.
Gainful Employment Information may be available for this program.
|Dean’s Signature and Date
|Advisor’s Signature and Date
|Eff: summer 2015
EPC - 504C
TC - 66
CIP - 110803
Last revised - yyyy/mm/dd