Dec 08, 2022
Program Description The Data Analytics Certificate for Early Career is intended for those who are new to the field of data analytics and data science. The objective of this program is to introduce students to key components of data analysis including data ingestion and processing, hypothesis development and statistical analysis, data modeling, and synthesis. With practical case studies to complement lessons, this program will help prepare students for entry level roles in data analytics and data science. This Certificate of Completion requires successful completion of a minimum of 19 credits as outlined.
Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
Program Requirements (15 - 19 credits)
- Use a query language to author database queries that join multiple data tables, aggregate data and answer questions typical of data analysis exploration.
- Apply advanced features of a spreadsheet program to create charts and pivot tables, conduct data matching, de-duplication and find operations.
- Ingest data into a high level programming environment (such as R or Python) and perform basic data cleaning procedures.
- Identify business domains to which data analytics can be applied & learn how to translate business questions into data questions
- Employ basic statistical techniques for data analysis including evaluating data with summary statistics, explaining patterns in data using statistical concepts, and principles of A/B testing.
- Demonstrate fundamentals of supervised & unsupervised machine learning, and identify when each is best used.
- Complete a capstone project based on business case study (analysis plan, dataset cleaning, data preparation, modeling/analysis, preparing a short paper or brief, delivering presentation)
The program code for this certificate is DIGDAC01. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
The advisor for this program is:
Allison Obourne | email@example.com | 425.640.1985
Department website: Computer Science | edmonds.edu/cs/
Certificate of Completion General Information
This certificate of completion (COC) is awarded upon completion of the required number of courses. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or S grades in all college level courses in order to earn this COC. Certain certificates may require a higher cumulative grade point average as dictated by industry standards. All credits for this COC must be earned at Edmonds College.
Certificates of completion (COCs) are not eligible for financial aid; however, some COCs may be eligible for veteran’s benefits. If you are interested in this COC, please talk to your faculty advisor or an academic advisor in student services.
Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan their schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice a year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning; and
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
PLAN/STACK - DIGDAC01
TC - 19
CIP - 307101
Last revised - 2022/07/19