Mar 21, 2023
DG 1.04pr - Data Use and Reporting :
The college is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of institutional data and reports, for protecting the privacy of students and employees, and for complying with all regulations and guidelines regarding the collection and dissemination of institutional data. The Office of Planning, Research, and Assessment (OPRA) establishes appropriate oversight and processes for the production and dissemination of institutional data and reports.
Requests for college data be will be routed through OPRA to make certain that there is uniformity in the reporting of college statistics and information. OPRA, under the Charter of the Data Governance Committee, will assist with:
- compiling reports and analyzing documentation regarding data collection, analysis, and reporting-responsibilities of departments;
- identifying areas where responsibilities may require agreement between two or more departments;
- identifying potential data inconsistencies or inaccuracies; and
- providing institutional reporting standards.
Divisions/departments must provide OPRA with their processes for reviewing the accuracy of data collected by the division/department and used for internal and/or external institutional reporting purposes.
The Office of Planning, Research, and Assessment and the college's Data Stewards, under the Charter of the Data Governance Committee has the oversight:
- To increase the college's capacity to interpret data and draw inferences from data in order to inform planning, evaluation, decision-making, and resource allocation.
- To comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws, as well as guidelines and regulations established by federal and state agencies regarding data reporting and privacy protection.
- To clarify responsibilities and procedures regarding the collection, analysis, and dissemination of institutional data.
- To ensure the accuracy of institutional data and reports.
- To ensure that institutional resources are invested in the production of high quality data and reports that meet external accreditation and reporting requirements, and support institutional decision-making.
- Ensure that consumers of the data for which the Data Stewards are responsible are aware of information handling procedures.
- Educate consumers about data to understand the source and purpose of the reported data, to validate selection criteria as correct, and to ensure that data is clearly identified and explained.
- Confirm data is validated in terms of context, definition, and timing in the administrative or academic cycle. Reports and extracts should include the reporting or extract date and/or timeframe that the data represents.
- Evaluate requests for quantitative and/or qualitative data on a case-by-case basis, and fulfill requests based on the confirmation that the request(s) inform initiatives (1) aimed at improving or directly supporting college operations, students, faculty, and staff, and/or (2) that align with the college's strategic plan.
- Confirm that employees who work with student data are aware of and follow all regulations regarding release of that information. Student information and confidentiality is covered under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Questions related to appropriate use and interpretation of data will be directed to OPRA staff and/or appropriate Data Stewards under the oversight of the Data Governance Committee.
RELATED POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
DG 1.0 Data Governance
DG 1.01pr Data Governance Committee Charter
DG 1.02pr Data Security/Access
DG 1.03pr Data Flow/Availability
DG 1.05pr Data Integrity/Quality
CONTENT OWNER. The primary responsibility for this policy belongs to:
Office of the President
PRIMARY CONTENT CONTRIBUTOR (Director/Dean)
Senior Executive Director of Institutional Effectiveness and Grants
2018-Dec 10 Approved by President's Cabinet
Add to Personal Catalog (opens a new window)