Jun 06, 2023
Program Description The Medical Office Certificate is a short certificate designed to prepare graduates for positions as entry level medical office support professionals. The program includes courses in grammar, basic software applications, medical terminology, medical law and ethics, electronic health records, and medical billing. Graduates may find employment in physicians’ offices, medical clinics, hospitals, insurance companies, and other types of healthcare settings where a variety of administrative support positions are available.This certificate is fully stackable into the Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate and Associate of Technical Arts Degree, allowing students to use all credits toward higher levels of education and employment opportunities.This certificate requires successful completion of a minimum of 30 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds College certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
Program Requirements (27 credits)
- Use appropriate technology and technical skills to accurately manage information and solve problems.
- Apply healthcare law, ethics, and confidentiality standards.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of healthcare terminology terminology and health records documentation.
- Apply effective writing, speaking, and listening skills to appropriately communicate with diverse populations in healthcare settings.
- Apply problem solving and critical thinking skills within the scope of a heatlhcare office setting.
Program Electives (to complete a total of 30 credits)
The program code for this certificate is MEPMFC20. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college-level courses.
The advisor for this program is:
Kim Haines | email@example.com | 425.640.1293
Department website: Business Information Technology | edmonds.edu/bstec
Certificate General Information
Credit/Grade Requirements A minimum of 30 credits or one-third of the required college-level (100-level or above) credits, whichever is less, must be earned at Edmonds College. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college-level courses.
Program of Study Outcomes Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan their schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice a year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning; and
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
Common Course Numbering Please refer to www.edmonds.edu/ccn for more information.
PLAN/STACK - MEPMFC20
TC - 30
CIP - 510712
Last revised - 2022/03/02