2014-2015 Academic Catalog 
    Jul 19, 2024  
2014-2015 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Change in Grading Scale - Elimination of 0.7 to 0.9 Grades

Edmonds Community College changed its grading scale, effective summer quarter 2012, to comply with the Washington State Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA), which stipulates that community colleges cannot award Associate of Arts (AA) transfer degrees that include courses with passing grades below 1.0.

This minimum grade requirement only affects AA transfer degrees. It does not apply to the Associate of Science (AS) transfer degrees, Associate in Applied Science-Transfer (AAS-T) degrees, Associate of Technical Arts (ATA) degrees, Associate of General Studies degrees, Certificates, Certificates of Completion, and High School Diplomas.

How this will affect you?

  • As of summer quarter 2012, Edmonds Community College instructors will not award students passing grades below 1.0. A grade of 1.0 will be the lowest possible passing grade.
  • Grades below 1.0 earned at other colleges will no be accepted for transfer credit to Edmonds Community College as of summer quarter 2012.
  • Students who complete their AA transfer degree course requirements, and apply for graduation by summer quarter 2013 will be awarded their degrees even if their transcripts contain one or more grades of 0.7, 0.8, or 0.9. The SBCTC and the Washington State public universities have agreed to offer students a one year grace period.
  • Students with an earned grade of 0.7, 0.8, or 0.9 in any required degree course who complete their AA transfer degree course requirements within this one year grace period, but apply for graduation after summer quarter 2013 will not be awarded AA transfer degrees. After summer 2013, AA transfer degree applicants for graduation must have 1.0 or better in all required degree courses.

What can you do?

  • Meet with an advisor to discuss your options and determine a course of action to ensure completion of your AA transfer degree;
  • Contact all colleges and universities to which you may transfer to learn their specific course and degree transfer policies; and
  • Repeat any course(s) in which you received a grade below 1.0, especially if you will not complete your AA transfer degree before summer quarter 2013;

NOTE WELL: Recent changes in federal regulations now allow eligible financial aid students to receive funding to repeat a course for a better grade. Contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify for this option.

If these changes concern you, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss your options, and determine the best course of action. Make an advising appointment by calling 425.640.1458 or by stopping by the Advising Resource Center on the first floor of Lynnwood Hall. You can also email an adviser with your questions at advising@edcc.edu. We are committed to helping you successfully complete your educational goals, and are ready to answer your questions.

For more information, read our Change in Grading Scale - Questions and Answers .