Mar 31, 2023
Return to: Degrees and Certificates by Type
Program Description The I-BEST Parent Mentor Certificate of Completion was established to offer coursework to natural leaders in our communities to increase their skills in working effectively with families using the principles and practices of family support. This certificate of completion requires successful completion of a minimum of 19 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
Program Requirements (19 credits)
- Enhance their leaderships skills to support families in public schools, Head Start/ECEAP, or other community family support programs.
- Identify quality bilingual and bicultural skills that are respectful, responsive, and culturally appropriate to meet the needs of today's diverse families.
- Demonstrate conflict resolution, translation, and interpretation skills to use when working with families.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the U.S. public school or healthcare systems and community resources that enable parents to advocate for their children.
The program code for this certificate is 434A. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
- This program is designed to appeal to bicultural and/or bilingual parent volunteers serving our school districts as natural leaders; Head Start and ECEAP parent policy council leaders and bilingual/bicultural staff serving community family support program/centers.
- This is an I-BEST (Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training) certificate requiring students to complete a basic skills class for each content class offered. These skills are designed to enhance English reading and writing abilities. All ABE/ESL students must also complete the required 8 credits of the basic skills classes.
- Upon completion of the this program, students are eligible to complete a Family Support Studies Certificate and/or a Family Support Studies AAS-T Degree. (See these programs for more details.)
- Permit codes are required to enter these classes and can be obtained in consultation with the advisor.
The advisors for this program are:
Karen Townsend | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1595
Christina Coiro | email@example.com | 425.640.1981
Tui Lindsey | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1633
Social and Human Services | www.edcc.edu/programs/shs or Family Support Services | www.edcc.edu/programs/fss
Certificate of Completion General Information
This certificate of completion (COC) is awarded upon completion of the required number of courses. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or S grades in all college level courses in order to earn this COC. Certain certificates may require a higher cumulative grade point average as dictated by industry standards. All credits for this COC must be earned at Edmonds CC.
Certificates of completion (COCs) are not eligible for financial aid; however, some COCs may be eligible for veteran's benefits. If you are interested in this COC, please talk to your faculty advisor or an academic advisor in student services.
Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan their schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice a year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning; and
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
|Dean's Signature and Date
||Advisor's Signature and Date
|Eff: summer 2015
EPC - 434A
TC - 19
CIP - 511594
Last revised - yyyy/mm/dd
Return to: Degrees and Certificates by Type